Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, Indulge Meek receives a small commission if you purchase products through those links. By no means are you obligated to use them, but if you do, I appreciate it.
There’s always this big fuss about Valentine’s Day. Who you’re going to be with, what you’re going to do and where you’re going to go. It’s like Valentine’s Day (for some people) is the only day people (male and female alike) know how to show their love and appreciation for their significant others. Can you imagine a world where you were only shown the love and appreciation you deserved once a year? Now that Valentine’s Day is over, I have news for you. It’s a significant day, but so are the other 364 (365 if it’s a leap year) you can make just as significant.
The truth is, we live in a society where everything is instant. Back in the day, it took almost a year for a movie to make it to VHS. Now, if you missed a movie in the movie theater, it’s no worries because with 3-4 months it’s on DVD. Lightyears ago, fast food was considered getting your food in 15 minutes or less. Now, all we have to do is order from home using an app and by the time we make it to the restaurant our food is ready (the main reason why I love Starbucks). To be honest, “instant” only works Amazon Prime and Walmart Pick-up, but not for relationships and marriages that we want to last for a life-time.
Before reading, “5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Last”, I knew that love and marriage was something that you didn’t enter into lightly. For me marriage is a lifelong commitment (“til death do us part). I just wasn’t 100% that I could because I’m spoiled and would always want stuff done my way. How is that even possible if I can’t compromise? “5 Love Languages” opened up my eyes to what loving someone really means and through that, a long-lasting marriage is possible.
The Author: Gary Chapman
Gary Chapman– author, speaker, and counselor-has a passion for people and for helping them form lasting relationships. He is the bestselling author of The 5 Love Languages series and the director of Marriage and Family Life Consultants, Inc. Gary travels the world presenting seminars, and his radio programs air on more than 400 stations.The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
I thought it would make sense to give a little background on the writer just so you know that he’s a credible writer. A lot of people these days write about things they don’t know of or have no experience with. Chapman
This book is intended for a married couple, however, I do believe that this book is a good read for any adult who is in a relationship headed towards marriage or considering marriage in the future. When it comes to a major commitment like marriage, I believe, “If you stay ready, you don’t have to get ready.” When you prepare yourself for the marriage and not just the wedding ceremony (because some people just want a huge party ), you’re able to draft a game plan with your significant other and you won’t be entering this commitment with unrealistic expectations. I also don’t believe you shouldn’t wait until your marriage goes to sh*t to get it either. Everyone can benefit from this book.
Why You Need “5 Love Languages In Your Life
Whether your single or married, Gary Chapman literally gives his readers a treasure chest filled with gems on how to have a marriage filled with love that last. When I was reading the book it caused me to evaluate myself. I asked myself questions like, ” Am I capable of loving someone the way they need to be love?” and “Is the love I’m giving in alignment with 1 Corinthians 13:4?” Then, of course, I’m looking out for the love language (or what I thought was his love language) of my significant other and taking notes. I definitely discovered what my love language was. Either way, 5 Love languages will enable you to become fully aware of not only your love language but your partner’s as well. Here are my top 3 reason why this book is a must have.
Easy Read and Even Easier Concepts
When I first came across “The 5 Love Languages”, I thought the book was going to be stuffy because of Gary Chapman’s credentials. I just knew I would probably read a chapter and the book would eventually transform into a coaster. Based on the cover alone I wasn’t convinced this book had the answers. There’s a couple dancing on the beach and at that point in my life, that didn’t seem realistic to me. This was my “Don’t judge a book by the cover” moment. Now that I am in a relationship headed towards marriage, I knew I needed to read the book regardless of the way the cover looked.
In “The 5 Love Languages”, Chapman takes his readers on a literary journey through the stages of love and the love languages. While taking his readers on this exploration of love, every stage, and concept where everything was explained in the simplest way possible. You don’t have to be the smartest person to understand any of the concepts in the book. It was written in a way where you as the reader have to be open to receiving what you need from the book.
Some of the mind-blowing concepts explained were:
- Love Tanks
- “In Love” Obsession Vs. “Real Love”
- Dead Seas and Babbling Brooks
Activities and Resources
Now I told you before that this book is a treasure chest. The book comes with knowledge on the love languages of course but there are some activities and resources that can help you beyond finishing this book. These activities and resources include:
- Your Turn: At the end of each chapter, there is a question that is asked that requires you to write from your point of view. For example, at the end of “Falling in Love” chapter, the question. that was asked was, “Can you pinpoint a time in your marriage when “reality” set in? How did it affect your relationship, for better or worse’? It causes you to think about
- If Your Spouse’s Love Language is..: At the chapters that explain the Love Languages, there is a list of things you can do for your spouse to fill their love tank. Most of the suggestion isn’t expensive and of course, you can get creative and build off of the suggestions.
- Love Languages Quiz for Him and Her: Located in the back of the book, there two separate quizzes to take. The quiz only takes about 10 minutes. The quiz is great because sometimes you might not be fully aware of your love language or your significant other’s. The quiz eliminates the guessing game.
- www.5lovelanguages.com: There are several freebies you can walk away with. You can read the first two chapters of “The 5 Love Languages”, there’s a free study guide for the book as well as a 7 Day Devotional for women.
- www.startmarriagehere.com: Prologue is a free online resource that prepares engaged couples for marriage and a love that would last. It can be accessed from a computer, tablet, or smartphone so it’s convenient. There’s only 5 sessions so it shouldn’t be that long.
The fact of the matter is this, “The 5 Love Languages” is a good read worth every penny. People probably pay hundreds of dollars to get counseling and you can have in for less than $15. This book changed my entire outlook on how love and marriage